- Start dateOctober 1, 2019
- Runtime36 months
- ContactMeine Koeslag
- Nikhil John
- University Utrecht
Using SAM4 to detect energy-inefficiencies and realize energy reduction.
Semiotic Labs’ SAM4 provides a novel and unique approach to condition monitoring for critical AC motors and rotating equipment such as pumps, compressors, fans, and conveyors. Unlike traditional solutions that install vibration sensors on the asset in the field, SAM4 detects upcoming failures by analyzing electrical waveforms from inside the Motor Control Cabinet. But in addition to condition monitoring we now want to use the same data to reduce energy consumption. ERGO will focus on research for developing features within SAM4 that provide system-level monitoring as a basis for detecting energy-inefficiencies, and providing data-driven insights for rightsizing motors. ERGO aims to deliver tools for 15-30% energy reductions, +85% reduction in unplanned downtime incidents, and validation of the results of ERGO through specialists as a basis for commercialization. Because SAM4 has the potential to be applied across (virtually) 100% of AC motors in the Netherlands, and these motors represent 53% of total electric power consumption, the potential in terms of energy reduction are considerable.
The research of ERGO aims to develop energy waste reduction features, based on system-level modelling and asset load monitoring over time. ERGO also validates the new condition monitoring features of SAM4 at a site-level. These features will be made available in the commercial version of SAM4 after this project.
- Develop models that detect inefficiencies in processes with the aim to reduce energy waste. Semiotic Labs’ data across 375 assets suggest that this could result in 2-5% energy reduction across the monitored assets.
- Develop dashboards that calculate the energy waste reduction potential of rightsizing and controlling motors, based on the data that SAM4 provides, offering long-term energy consumption reductions by an additional 10-35%.
- Deliver a proof of performance study for these energy reduction claims.
- Generate new insights of the Proof of Concepts in a large-scale field test, deploying SAM4 on a site-level at several corporate partners.
- Provide a technical and economical overview with essential process design and Integration boundary conditions.