Imagine a world where plastic waste no longer harms the environment, but instead becomes a valuable resource for creating new materials. HOPy – Headstart on Pyrolysis is a pioneering project aiming to contribute to this vision by providing the stepping stone for scaling up the innovative pyrolysis technology.
- Bridging project between the CPI project Towards the improved circularity of polyolefin-based packaging and the thermochemical recycling pillar within the Nationaal Groeifonds programma Circulaire Plastics NL
- Manufacturing pyrolysis oil for downstream application (cracking)
- Developing an economic decision model for pyrolysis oil production costs
- Providing economic insights for future research and testing within the Circular Plastics NL program
The challenge: an economically viable recycling solution
With millions of tons of plastic waste generated every year, the urgent need for sustainable and economically viable recycling solutions has never been greater. Traditional recycling methods often fall short in addressing this issue, and the world is left grappling with a plastic waste crisis.
The challenge lies in finding an innovative solution that not only mitigates the environmental impact of plastic waste but also taps into its potential as a resource for creating new materials.
About the HOPy project
Headstart on Pyrolysis is a bridging project that aims to scale up the cutting-edge pyrolysis technology to tackle the plastic waste problem head-on. By focusing on 2 key aspects – manufacturing pyrolysis oil for downstream application (cracking) and developing an economic decision model for pyrolysis oil production costs – the project aims to provide the necessary groundwork for the Nationaal Groeifonds programma Circulaire Plastics NL.
By understanding the economic costs of producing pyrolysis oil fit for cracking, the project will enable researchers and industry stakeholders to make informed decisions in preparing the oil to meet naphtha standards. This will result in pyrolysis oil that is ready for further testing and application in downstream processes.
What we do
Together with represesentatives of the Versnellingstafel Chemische Recycling (part of Versnellingshuis Circulaire Economie) and Shell, the project will deliver:
- Sufficient pyrolysis oil fit for further testing in downstream applications (cracking) in the NGF CP program on industrialization of recycling technologies
- An economic decision model to calculate the costs of producing pyrolysis oil based on different choices in preparation for naphtha standards
- Economic insights that will guide future research and testing within the program, enabling new directions and opportunities in circular plastics
Are you also passionate about a sustainable future?
Join us in making a difference and stay informed about our progress. For more information about the HOPy project, read our latest articles or connect with our plastics community on LinkedIn.
This is a project of the Circular Plastics Initiative, co-founded by ISPT and DPI.
The project is partially funded by TKI Groene Chemie en Circulariteit.