- Start dateFebruary 1, 2020
- Runtime21 months
- ContactNathan Bowden
Network organizations of ISPT and NL GUTS are working together along with SMEs, industry and knowledge institutes to make early adaptor projects happen.
As set in the Paris Agreement and agreed to by the Dutch Climate Agreement, in 2050, the Dutch Industry needs to have 49% of its energy coming from renewable resources. It has been calculated that this can only be attained while at the same time greatly reducing industries energy consumption. Currently, the Netherlands is the second to lowest European country on fulfilling its promise to meet these goals.
A solution, as given in this proposal, that would drastically lower the energy use in industrial processes is the use of high-tech membranes that would replace or assist energy-inefficient processes such as distillation, crystallization and evaporation. These new classes of membranes would not only reduce the amount of energy that an industrial plant needs to operate, but it would remove bottlenecks in the production process (like distillation) so that production at the plant is enhanced, renewable energy can be used and still show a return of investment to the implementation of our new technology of 5 years.
However to increase the opportunities for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and in order to meet the goals of the Dutch government, the will of the people and the needs of the industry, a project needs to be set up to help SMEs make contact with industries, localize and develop their technologies to suite the specific needs of Dutch industrial partners. This is why the network organizations of ISPT and NL GUTS are working together along with SMEs, industry and knowledge institutes to make early adaptor projects happen.
• Set up membrane pilots at industrial plants or using model mixtures of the fluid streams so that SMEs can develop their membranes tailored to these streams
• Develop clear protocols and procedures in order to correctly be able to test and compare the results of the pilots where the membranes were used
• Offer support to SMEs by means of technical workshops and technical matchmaking possibilities
• Maintaining an administrative infrastructure for innovation and dissemination of success in order to create further business development.
• A confidential report for each application of membranes to the industrial partners and the membrane developer
• Matrix of future possibilities in response to the outcomes of the report
• A confidential end report and a public end report on the project as a whole
• Posters to be shared at the ISPT Conference 2020
• Presentations to be given at the NL GUTS meetings, NPS meetings and the OSN meetings in 2020
• Technical matchmaking workshops to the SMEs and Industry